In the Surf at Second Beach

 I just returned from a trip to the Pacific Northwest.  It is an area that is too long of a drive from Texas for a one week vacation and usually too expensive of a flight.  However, this year, there were cheaper flights to the northwest and I was able to take plan and do a trip to the rugged Pacific coast. 


The cost here is fantastic for photography and it certainly lived up to that for me.  I was drawn to the western side of Olympic National Park and based on reading and recommendations went to Second Beach, which is near the town of La Push.


I hiked out to the beach in the dark and arrived to heavy overcast and intermittent rain.  I am sure there are many folks who would have thrown in the towel in these conditions but I really liked them.  That could have something to do with the fact we have a lot of clear sky in Texas and it had not rained in weeks.  Cool, cloudy, and rainy was a refreshing change for me.


I spent the morning standing on the edge of the ocean right at and sometimes in the surf.  For the most part that worked but well but sometimes larger waves sent me scampering up the beach.


The low light meant long exposures and I was able to capture the ocean and waves in extended motion.


I loved the images that were appearing on the back of the camera.
The cool blue of the dawn just looked right for the conditions-see the top image for what I mean.


As I have been digging through the images from that day I have also been looking at some images that make some great black and white-see the second image.


A top notch location that was everything everyone said it was.


See more images from Olympic National Park in the new gallery on my website.


Olympic NP Gallery

Popular Posts