Rialto Beach Twilight

 Rialto Beach is another one of the fantastic beaches along the Pacific coast of Olympic National Park.


Each beach has its own character here and Rialto is no different.  I was lucky enough to see different light on my three visits here.  I caught a nice sunset, an incredible sunrise, and heavy overcast and rain.  Each one was magical in a different way.  


Rialto has easier access than some of the other beaches but I had it to myself at sunrise and only a few others there at sunset.  It was much less crowded than First Beach just across the river in La Push and it is arguably a better beach too.


Rialto seems to have more driftwood on it than some of the others.  Or maybe a better way to say it is it has more driftwood in the surf than the others.  That driftwood became some of the best subjects I found, especially in sunset light.


See my top image for an example.


I also wanted to try more wave based images and caught a nice sunrise a few days after the nice sunset.  Getting the waves to cooperate is never an easy task but if you time it right with the right wave, you can get some great motion in the image. 






Finally the third image is from the rainy and overcast morning.  The moodiness that day was also exceptional and between rain squalls, I was able to snag a few nice images while in the surf.


Photographers note, with the rain, surf, sand, and salt water you need to be careful with your camera at any of these beaches.  A good rain cover is a must and a microfiber towel will allow you to wipe away drops from your lens between images as it will get wet.



Popular Posts