2020 Year in Review

Trinity River by Bike
 We are approaching the end of a year like no other.  A year that was nothing like I thought it would be.  A different year in every way possible than anyone could have imagined.  Despite all that was this year I still wanted to do a look back from a photography standpoint.

This has become one of my annual traditions to do this post and try and sum up my year.  Then wonder if anyone ever reads these..........

January 1 started my year in photography as it has for the last 20 years.  Photographing sunrise on New Year's Day became a tradition for me in 2000 and is still going strong. 

The short Texas winter was one I photographed locally in January.  In February, I took a week and went west to Big Bend. It was a great trip of dark night sky, big sunrises, and exploring the park.  I got some great images along the way.  Returned to several favorite locations and explored some new areas too.  Even found a few new spots, a couple being off the map canyons.  It is the little finds like this that so impress me about this park.  No matter how many times I visit, I still find new things to see.  It gives me that sense of adventure.

Big Bend by Night
It was after returning form this trip in late February that things rapidly changed.  Within two weeks we were all but home bound.  As spring went on I began to ride my bike more and it became a daily ritual.  I would leave home at 0500 on the bike with the camera and ride about 20 miles.  I would follow the river and look for photographs.  Ride, look, photograph and ride more.  I went from being a weekend rider to riding 500+ miles a month.  Out there in the dark on the bike with the camera was a good escape from the crazy reality of the year.  I could be outside, social distance, and get some exercise.  I considered it good for the heart (bike) and soul (photography).  

From the early days of spring through the heat of supper, the shorter days of fall and into the cold mornings in November and December.  Going out when it is 31 degrees at 0500 on a bike might sound crazy to some but I really like it.  I might stop along the river in a wooded area and hear owls.  Or get a picture of the moon reflecting in the river, or the fall color in the trees at twilight.

Looking back, the bulk of my photography this year was on the bike.  In fact when I looked at my vehicle I noticed over a 4 week period I had driven only 56 miles and had biked over 600 miles.

In the early part of summer I also took some day drives.  I decided to take the large format film camera and spend a few trips doing black and white.  I put a blog post up on my Large Format blog on those drives along 377.

Comet Neowise

When Comet Neowise became known and very visible I did a few more evening drives to see if I could see it and managed to get a few good spots to grad a photo of it over some churches or the Paluxy River.  It was a nice treat in the hot Texas summer.

With the turn of the seasons to fall and some things reopened, I took a chance and went to Big Bend.  I wanted to do it and be safe.  I packed everything I needed down to all the water I would need.  Completely self-contained, the only stops I made were gas pumps.  I was social distanced and got to see the the desert.  It was a hot trip of triple digit temps and two dust storms.  It was also nice to get away and be able to do it safely.

After making that work I ended the year with a last minute trip to Caprock Canyons.  Again I was self- contained and able to avoid encounters or stops.  It was a good trip to explore the amazing Llano Estacado and even see snow!  What a way to wrap up my year.

With less than two weeks left in 2020 I am waiting to see if I can photograph the Jupiter and Saturn Christmas Star next week.

Snow in Caprock Canyons
Then looking forward to turning the page to 2021.  I have no idea what it will bring.  I have some ideas for trips but wonder what will even be possible.  For sure I think I can do a couple of driving campouts but not sure beyond that.  I can only hope and think of flying destinations when we can.

Here is to a New Year!






Comments

Popular Posts