River, Desert, Mountains

The Big Bend country is a dramatic landscape with a variety of elevations, features, and environments.  From the riparian habitat along the Rio Grande, across the heat of the low desert, through higher elevation grasslands to the rugged peaks of the Chisos.  Each element brings something different to the location and when you explore the region make for many different options and even weather.

Each trip I make into the park I try to explore each area.  I think I write this next statement in most posts about Big Bend, but even after years of exploring the park I am always finding new things.  So a trip to the park will have me revisit areas I have seen before and then try to find something new.  Every trip I find something new, it keeps the park always surprising me.

Photographing the park for me is a combo of chasing light and finding how to make use of the various elements of the landscape here to make an image.

Getting the right light is the hardest part.  If I spend a week here, I expect 4 days were be completely clear.  If I am lucky I will get three days with some clouds and then maybe some good light.

When it happens.........you have to be ready.

I plan my trips out.  Or, at least I plan what part of the park I will be in and try to build a list of known good sunrise or sunset spots in each area.  Part of that is I like to give myself some ideas for images but part is because the park is so big going from one side to the other takes a long time.  Better to plan for the area you are in to maximize chances.

Here are some examples of images of the mountains, desert and river.  some were planned out as known locations.  Others are found moments.

The top scene here with the panorama of the big sunrise is from a location I visit every trip.  With a clear view toward the Chisos I know it can be great if the clouds are right.  This was my last morning in the park and Big Bend sent me on my way with a stunner of a sunrise.  The light went on an on.

The second image is another one planned out.  I know the hill here has a great view to the east and west.  Here I was there for a sunset and caught the golden river with eh distant peaks of the Chisos.

Third image is a known area but found scene.  I know this is a good sunset spot but mid day light actually turned out nice.  A good view to show the desert landscape.

Finally the last one is a found scene.  I had hoped to find a good view from this hike and after some scrambling we found this spot where the sun dropped perfectly into the notch above the river.

Planning and luck.  River, desert and mountains.  




Comments

Popular Posts