Off the Map Canyons in Big Bend

Secret Slot Canyon
Big Bend is well known for the three massive canyons carved along the Rio Grande in the park.  Boquillas Canyon , Mariscal Canyon and the crown jewel of the park- Santa Elena Canyon.  These are all big and impressive canyons.  Sunrise at Santa Elena Canyon watching the walls of the Sierra Ponce light up is a truly amazing sight.

These are canyons I have visited and photographed many times over my trips to the park.

Hidden in the vastness of Big Bend, I have found other canyons.

Not on the map.

Not in the guide books.

You will not find them on social media either.  I fact, I have never seen an image from any of these other than my own.

These are place I literally stumbled upon. 


The jagged rocks of an unknown canyon
When I am in the park, I visit places I know, but I also go look for what else might be out there.  It has led me to find some very neat locations.  While I am sure others have been there too, it is nice to find spots not overrun with people taking selfies.  I have never encountered another person in these locations.  I have found mountain lion tracks though.

Some of these canyons would be a major attraction in a lesser place.  But here in the vastness of the desert in Big Bend, they are overshadowed by the big three.

One I saw from a hill over a decade ago.  I could see the canyon mouth and thought, let's go explore.  What I found was a deep, rugged canyon full of jagged rock and a few water obstacles.  From the very first trip, I have been impressed with this canyon.  It zigs and zags as it cut through the ground, making several drops along the way.  I always find water holes here.  There are even a couple of difficult water obstacles it takes a bit of climbing skill to avoid and stay dry.

I now make a trip through here on every trip.


Water hole in slick rock
A few years later I found a narrow little slot canyon.  It is not very deep, nor is it very long, but it also has become a regular.  It is almost like something out of Utah, but without the amazing reflected light.  The canyon is often only 2-3 feet wide and it is a good place to take camera on a clear afternoon and see what kind of images you can find.

This last trip was really good.  I found three more canyons.  One was quite impressive in its length.  The other two were smaller and shallower.  All three were great to explore.

As is often the case with places like this, you wonder- how did I not see this before?  Or how come this place is not famous and have a trail head that leads to it?  Then you remember this is Big Bend- El Desplabado.  There are many secret spots still here.

The long canyon was never very deep.  However it went through sections of smooth rock with water pools, poured over dry falls, and open gravelly sections where wildflowers bloomed. 

It was a cold and clear morning when we went into the canyon after several hours chasing the Milky Way in the predawn sky.  The quiet of the desert on a morning with air temps below freezing made it a fun journey.  The canyon literally began at a dry fall we had to climb around.  The base held water and we found mortar holes for grinding corn on the rocks.  As we explored farther up the canyon, we found 3 foot tall bluebonnets, twists and turns in the walls and one big water obstacle.  Luckily it was quite easy to climb around.  Still, I was glad to have a light pack and not a full load of camera gear with me.

We spent a good 2-3 hours making our way up through the canyon and then back down through it.  There were many stops for images along the way.  This is a place I will also be back to explore further!
Tiny canyon twists

Even the two small canyons "discovered" on this trip were fun to find even they were not big or deep.  One we saw from the distance from a location we had been at several times and never noticed.  Yes, it can be like that out here.  There is so much scenic vastness, you can look right past something.

After making only a quick visit to the canyon late in the day, I thought I would look for it from above a few days later.  I approached from a different direction and that was when I found the last little canyon find.  I could call this Tiny Canyon.  Not much more than small area I had to climb down into.  I was still able to find a photograph or two.

As I sit at home and review images from the trip, I can only daydream about when I might be able to get back down there. When I can, I know I will visit these places again.



Comments

Popular Posts