In the Surf

In the surf at Rialto Beach in Olympic National Park.

Another image from a great sunset at Rialto Beach.  With the high tide and big surf this day I was really enjoying photographing the beach.  I was moving along the beach photographing different views, changing the foregrounds, watching the surf pound the beach when I saw this log.  Log is really not an apt description, this is a tree and well over 100 feet long and 5 feet in diameter or bigger.


I really liked the keyhole in it, almost like a wooden arch.


I hopped up on the log and started to work the log and surf into an image.  Did I mention the surf was big that day?  Even on a 5 foot tall log waves were breaking right up against it.  Luckily both the camera and me stayed dry.  Still it was pretty exciting.


With the sunset, surf, wind, etc it was one of those days you really like being a photographer.


Here is a second image of me up on the log with the surf coming in to let you see what the set up looks like to make the above image.


This was one of those locations where you were not about to set the pack down and after choosing the lens (I went ultra wide with the 10-20mm) and filters (2 stop grad) I really only kept a microfiber towel in my jacket pocket to wipe away any spay from the glass.

Popular Posts