2022 Year in Review

 


It is hard to believe the year is past and it is 2023.  While I have traveled and photographed a great deal in 2022, what I did not do was post much on this blog.  In a way I am not sure if anyone even reads this........but here goes.

2022 was another year of Covid and different travel for me.  All of my trips were by road and I drove to a number of places.  I also got a mountain bike this year and that has opened some different ways for me to explore an area.

Like every year, I started off 2022 with sunrise for New Years Day.  A long standing tradition it survived Covid but I was alone on NYD this year. 

A late winter trip to Big Bend has been one of my go-to trips and it never disappoints unless I think back to 2021 when the big ice storm trapped me in Cowtown and I missed the trip.  2022 saw mild weather and a chance to explore the desert and chase the stars in the dark Texas Night sky.

Something about the dark sky of El Desplabado and the countless stars of night that are incredible like few other places.  I set up my camera by rock formations, the Rio Grande and more to find amazing views or capture a star trail.

I have been riding a hybrid bike for the past decade.  Over Covid I was riding some 5,000+ miles a year but was limited to paved paths and have been wanting to get back to more rugged trails.  Finally in the spring of 2022 the supply chain began to catch back up with the bike companies and I began to see potential models in stock.  After a few weeks of research and test rides I bought a new Trek Roscoe 6 mountain bike.  A solid hardtail trial bike it has become my favorite way to travel.  In the second half of the year I put 1,600 miles on it.  I have a way to carry a small camera kit and tripod and have explored local trails, chased fall color with it and ridden in the Big Bend country.  It has been an excellent choice for fun, adventure and exercise.


My big trip this year was a two week road trip as I drove to Montana and explored the Great Plains.  Heading north through the farm country of Kansas and then followed the Platte River into Wyoming.  I ticked a place off the list spending the night at the Bighorn Canyon and getting a chance to try night images in the howling wind.  I unexpectedly got to add in a few days in Yellowstone.  Turns out the news of the terrible rain/flooding they had scared many visitors off.  On short notice I added a few night in and was able to see wildlife and the Milky Way. 

After Yellowstone it was north into the central Montana plains and the Missouri River.  I explored the Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument and the Charles M.  Russell NWR.  From there is was over to the Thunder Basin, Wind Cave and back into Nebraska for the Sand Hills.

The plains continue to impress and surprise me.  I am glad to have taken the time the last two years to really explore them more.

A quick trip to Big Bend in October then led into the fall color season.  

The long autumn season of north Texas was good to me.  We had great color that lasted from late October until mid-December when spring like storms took the last of the leaves.  Over those several weeks I was out on the bike with the camera every chance I could get.  The miles might not have been as many but the places seen made up for it.


Finally I finished the year in Big Bend again. Took the bike and went up 4x4 roads I cannot get the mighty Element.  A fun way to travel by two wheels as I explored the desert.

That leads me to 2023......Looking at the year ahead, I hope to return to Big Bend, ride the bike, and see an eclipse in October.  Beyond that....who knows.

May you have a great year!


Comments

Popular Posts