Caprock Country

Late last year, after Christmas and before the Covid Crisis altered our lives, I did a short trip west to the Caprock country.  Here on the edge of the Llano Estacado are canyons and cliffs as the flat top falls away to the rolling plains below.

The eastern edge of the Llano Estacado is carved up by the headwaters of the Red River and there are many out of the way views here.  Luckily a couple of areas were set aside as state parks.  My goal for this trip was to camp in Caprock Canyons SP and hopefully photograph the red rock formations of the canyon and maybe even see the stars.

I left Fort Worth and went west towards Sweetwater which is near the southern end of the Llano Estacado.  From there my plan was to follow it north along the edge of the Caprock as best I could to the state park.

The driving out here is lonely even if there are people and towns.  This is an area of farms, ranches and small towns here and there but an area off the main highways and out of the mind of the typical traveler.


I would driver north, then west, then north and then east.  I wanted to follow the edge as best I could for the best photos.  The view from the top and the views looking down the length of the edge.

I would make stops, move up the road, try different views.  Some worked.  Others did not.

I was in no hurry.

I photographed a big sunrise and some interesting overcast.

I drove along the rugged edge, the rolling plains below and the pancake flat of the top.

After a half day of driving I finally arrive in Quitaque and the park is just beyond.  After a quick lunch (eating out seems so strange now) I get my campsite set up in the park and go for a hike.

I have heard the caprock carves some interesting spots through the rock and find a little shot slot canyon.  Nothing huge but a canyon.  Its like a gift.

It is also very muddy.

I can get a little way in but wish I had my Wellies.  I reach a place I know I cannot go beyond without mus going over the boot tops.  I stop and take a few images.  With the overcast there is no reflected light.

Still I am in a little slot canyon and I am happy.

Later I hope for a sunset, but despite having some clouds do not get the right light.

As it gets dark I know I want to try to photograph the stars, I am just not sure the images will work with the partly cloudy skies.  I try anyway.  I set up a couple of cameras and let them run.  Who knows what I might get.

It is not until I run the images through a star stacker do I realize that even with the moving clouds I actually could get a star trail out of the night.

After the cold creeps into me, I call it a night.

The next morning I awaken to dense fog.  I spend the morning in the fog.  The whole day will be foggy and I will make mostly moody images in the dark and foggy conditions. I explore little creek beds, I wander some trails. I watch bike red rocks slowly materialize out of the dense fog into view.

I wonder if I will have to go to monochrome to make the images work.

It was an interesting day in an interesting spot.  

When I leave the next day it is dreary.  I drive home photographing old farms and roads.  I take it slow and keep looking for images.  Already thinking of potential photos and wondering what else might be found there in the Caprock.

I sit here now in the summer wondering when I might be able to go back.





Comments

Popular Posts