Rain Forest Green in Black and White

 Even though the rain forest is so green it begs for color, I also played around with what it might look like in black and white.  After all, the monochrome green might work as a monochrome based in black and white.


So one of the things I decided to do was to put my little Panasonic LX3 point and shoot into black and white mode.  Well actually it is a RAW + B&W jpeg that way I can still have a full color RAW file to work with.  However what I see on the camera is the B+W jpeg and does that ever help to judge a scene if it works in mono.


And did it ever! 


The blacks, grays, and whites really made the tones and texture "pop".  I knew it would be worth working some of the images that way back home.


So having looked through images and pulling the best color images and now having been home for a few weeks I decided to relook at the images see what kind of black and white work I could do.


To keep with the idea that had sprung from using the little pocket camera, I only worked files from it.  I have written before about my "small format" camera and here again it impressed me.  (To see more Small Format work-including article links- from the Panasonic LX3 look for "Small Format" in the labels)


The three images you see here are all from it.  Some are simply a tweaking of the B+W jpeg file and others were worked in RAW and then processed into B+W via Photoshop or NIK Silver Effects Pro 2.


Popular Posts